March 7, 2012

Zoologic Crafting: Insect Rings

Stand back! I'm unleashing my inner nerd!
I know what you're thinking: "Lol, wut?! Your inner nerd? Gurl, you wear your nerd on yo' sleeve."
And I see why you might think that, what with all my talk about glitter, cats, and Martha Stewart. But, you have no idea just how nerdy I really am. You know, underneath this punk rock exterior. 

Here are some fun facts about me that I have withheld until this point:

1. My favorite class in high school was chemistry. 
2. My second favorite class in high school was calculus. I liked it so much, that I decided to take a calculus class at NYU. You know, for funsies. But then I dropped out, because it is really hard to learn complicated math from a person who doesn't speak English. 
3. I play the flute. And I fucking love it. I was also in band (both regular and marching) in high school. Yeah...
4. I am simultaneously fascinated and terrified of cockroaches. The fear isn't nerdy, the fascination is. 

Holy mother of nerd, it feels good to get that out. 
I bet you thought I was a one-note-Nelly. Au contraire, my friend. Au contraire. There are so many dynamic levels of nerd under this crafty facade. 

The good news is, nerds are IN. That's right. People currently view nerds as quirky and interesting. Think The Big Bang Theory. I'd like to consider myself similar to the adorably quirky Zooey Deschanel. Except blonde, not musical, and with a little extra padding. (Bitch is skinnnnyyyy.) Zooey even has a crafty blog so I am not too far off. Plus I just got bangs. So there's that.

Man, I love talking about myself. Another fun fact: I love being the center of attention. But I bet you guessed that already, didn't ya.
The point of this rant: I made insect rings. Yeahsies!





Supplies:
1. Plastic bugs from Kmart.
2. E6000 glue from M&J.
3. Ring bases from Toho Shoji.
4. Gold spray paint from Michael's.

Step 1:
Spray paint your bugs with the gold spray paint. 

Step 2:
Use the E6000 glue to attach a ring base to the bottom of the plastic bug. Let dry for 12 hours. 







Creepy. Crawly. Pretty? I mean, I wouldn't use that word, but my barista at Starbucks would. And she did. My sister, on the other hand, had some less than kind words to say about my new rings. Rude. 

Made it? Send me picpls. Want it? E-me for a price.

2 comments:

Bubble My Licorice said...

That's a great idea! Congrats!

aguafuegoytierra said...

God, great idea!!!!!

Magnifique!!

Aguafuegoytierra


Post a Comment