March 22, 2012

Vintage crafting: Heart Bracelet


We need to talk about Grandma. 
I know you think I am the craftiest lady ever. And while I wish that was true, my grandma (Grandma Natty, as I call her) happens to be the original craft prodigy. 

Grandma Natty is a very skilled lady. She made my mom tons of clothing growing up. Obviously my mom wanted store bought clothing like all the cool kids, but my Grandma made some really sweet threads. She also is quite the talented knitter (a skill she has yet to teach me, so rude) and has made multiple exquisite afghans for me and my family over the years. She has also been our favorite seamstress, despite the geographic challenges (us in NY, Grandma in Fla.) We would schlep our torn clothing to Florida once a year and put Grandma Natty to work!
Now you know where my talents come from. 

My grandma has been less crafty the past couple of years because of arthritis and a move from Florida to NY. Also, at 88, she aint no spring chicken, and hand-eye-coordination has been less than perfect. But don't be sad! My grandma lives in an awesome community and she does lots o' fun crafting with her freinds - just less detail oriented than before. 


The benefit of my Grandma retiring from crafting: I inhereted a boatload of vintage craft supplies!!
I have used ribbons and rhinestones here and there, but today I made a bracelet based on a vintage craft supply. 

I found some little studs in heart shapes and thought they were just darling. So I made a bracelet:
If I'm going to be honest (and I am) I should tell you that I 100% made this before Valentines Day as a holiday special. But then I remembered that I hate that shit and decided to save it for later. You know, staying true to myself and stuff like that. 

I also want to share some of my favorite items found in my grandma's craft box.
These vintage star sequins:

This collection of heart notions:

These vintage crochet doilies:

And finally, my favorite, personalized tags <3


And here are two super-cute pictures of me and Grandma Natty. She is the most adorable person on the planet. Like, for real. If you disagree, well, you are just wrong. So... shut up. 




Supplies:
1. Leather cord from M&J.
2. Vintage heart studs from Grandma's craft collection.
3. Pliers from a local hardware store. 

Step 1:
Fold the cord in half and tie a loop at the end. Tie a knot on the other end as well. 
Yes, I am sporting a unicorn band-aid. No, I don't think that's weird. 

Step 2:
Place a heart stud over both pieces of the cord. 

Step 3:
Use the pliers to secure the heart onto the cords. Repeat over the length of the bracelet. 




This item and its materials are one-of-a-kind! And they belong to meeeeeeeeeee!!
Sorry, suckaaaaaas!

(love you)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SUPER cute bracelet! And your grandma is awesome! Isn't it wonderful to share a passion like crafting with someone you're close to? I was like that with my grandma--it was wonderful... she just GOT it! Looks like yours does too :)

Beth said...

That bracelet is so sweet, I seriously want one to add to the collection of bracelets that travel quite a long way up my wrist.
Beth
xox

Bethh said...

I really really love your blog so much. I'm not even kidding, i love how you don't mess around with what you mean, what with all of your hating of valentines day and whatnot. Your grandma looks so sweet and you both look adorable together! >.<

Post a Comment