March 1, 2012

Geometric Diamond Necklace

I have long longed to be cool enough to rock a tattoo. (And by "cool enough" I mean not fear being dis-owned by my parents. I'm a completely independent 20 something who is fully in my mother's control. Go Jewish guilt!

I know exactly what I would get: A geometric diamond on my forearm. Since a geometric diamond will never exist on my forearm, I have developed an obsession with the shape itself. I doodle it. A lot. Sometimes on my forearm. And then I have to remind myself that I'm not 15 years old anymore and drawing on myself is not appropriate in an office. Oops. 

I decided to make myself a necklace with said geometric diamond so I can rock it when the mood strikes:

Bad-ass. Not nearly as bad-ass as a tattoo would be, but bad-ass none-the-less. 



Supplies:
1. Pasta maker from Michael's.
2. Fimo from Michael's.
3. Metal loops from Toho Shoji.
4. Metal clasp from Toho Shoji.
5. A print out of this piece of clip art.
6. An X-Acto knife from a local hardware store. 
7. Pliers from a local hardware store. 
8. Chain from Toho Shoji. 
9. *NOT PICTURED* An oven or a toaster oven.

Step 1:
Knead the fimo in your hands until soft. 
(I KNOW. My nails are metallic. So good. If you want 'em go to Ricky's NYC!)

Step 2:
Pull the fimo through the pasta maker. 

Step 3:
Place the print-out over the fimo and use as a guide to cut the design in the fimo. 

Step 4:
Bake the diamond at 275ish degrees for 5ish minutes. 

Step 5:
Use the pliers to attach a loop to one corner of the diamond. 

Step 6:
Lace the chain through the loop. 

Step 7:
Use the pliers to attach a loop to one end of the chain and a clasp to the other end of the chain. 







Lola was all like, "Oh, hai. Can I plz has dis shiny device?"
And I was all like, "No, bitch. It's mine."
And Lola was like, "I hate it here....
...I hope you die."
We love each other very much.

Did you make a diamond necklace? Send me the picspls. Do you want me to make it for you. E-ME. 

2 comments:

Ms. Shirley Huinink said...

I have a lovely piece of glass I want to "frame" for a necklace. Your piece here has inspired me to try it with fimo! (No more wondering how to convince a stained glass artist to do it for me; also, fimo is lead free. Thanks!)

Anonymous said...

Amazingly awesome, I shall try one of these days..... I must!

Post a Comment