November 17, 2011

Chalkboard Planter

I don't keep plants in my apartment. There isn't enough natural light and I'm pretty sure they would die. (I'm not the best caretaker.) But before I even would have a chance to kill the plants, I'm sure my asshole of a cat would attack them, knock them over, piss in them, really do anything to terrorize the innocent plants. SO, moral of the story: no plants in my apartment. 

IF I had plants I would want them to be in awesome planters. And that's why I made these (for the future me - a me who has the ware-with-all to take care of a plant):
Chalkboard planters are a brilliant idea really (not to toot my own horn) for the unorganized and/or amateur botanist. You can LABEL your plants, write watering and sunlight instructions, and anything else that tickles your fancy RIGHT ON THE PLANTER ITSELF. 

Did I just blow your mind? I bet I did. I BET I DID.


To make one yourself, you will need:
1. Planters from Michael's (in whatever size and quantity your crafty heart desires)
2. Benjamin Moore chalkboard paint from the Benjamin Moore Store
2. A medium paint brush from Michael's
3. Paper to protect your working surface (newspaper works great here!)

Step 1:
Put down a sheet of paper and put your planter items on top. Have your bucket of chalkboard paint handy.

Step 2: 
Paint your planters with the chalkboard paint, inside and out.

Step 3:

Let dry for at least 4 hours. 


Like I said, I do not have plants. But that doesn't mean I don't have FAKE plants! WHAT, WHAT!!!

I could also use these as storage for my many writing utensils:


OR these might be the new home for my sweet collection of fancy buttons:
Cat approach.

CAT ATTACK!

Cat is victorious. 
Imagine if there had been a nice orchid in that planter. Orchid would have been dead. 

As always, e-me your planters! and if you loveeee mine but don't want to make it yourself, I would be thrilled to make some for you! Just say the word!

1 comment:

Hadley said...

I absolutely love this idea! I don't have a particularly green thumb, but I keep trying. Love that the care instructions can be written right on it. Thanks!

Post a Comment